From January to August 2022, China exported a total of 1.91 million vehicles, overtaking Germany to become the world's second-largest auto exporter, behind only Japan. Changan Auto, one of the 'Big 3' domestic automobile manufacturers, along with Geely and Great Wall Motor (GWM), held its 150th anniversary at its birthplace, Jinling Machinery Manufacturing Bureau, the first manufacturing facility in Nanjing, a springboard for China’s modern industrialization, and the cradle of China’s national industry.
- In 1865, the Jinling Machinery Manufacturing Bureau was founded during the Qing Dynasty’s “Self-Strengthening Movement” (a period of rapid Chinese modernization). In 1883, when the Sino-French War broke out, the Jinling Machinery Manufacturing Bureau received armament orders from across the country, and its development as a critical manufacturing center began to take shape. In 1888, the Bureau started production of the Maxim gun, the first generation of heavy-machine guns in China. However, in China’s semi-feudal and semi-colonial state, technological advances were hard to develop. At that time, the foreign forces and compradors made it very difficult for China to develop a domestically owned high-grade military industry. The defeat in the First Sino-Japanese War shattered the dream of “industrial salvation”.
- In 1929, the Nanjing Nationalist Government renamed Jinling Machinery Manufacturing Bureau to the "Jinling Arsenal". In 1937, Japanese invaders attacked Shanghai. The Jinling Arsenal was the largest military enterprise during the War of Resistance against Japan. However, the Republic of China (ROC), led by the Kuomintang (KMT), was also a regime that relied heavily on imperialism, both politically and militarily. The ROC had neither an independent industrial system nor a highly organized and competent military. Oppressed by the bureaucratic compradors inside and the imperialists outside, the national industry barely survived and could not help the KMT army to fend off the invaders' cruel and inhumane forces on the battlefield.
- In 1926, the Nanjing Municipal Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) secretly established a Party organization at the Jinling Arsenal and carried out revolutionary struggles. During the White Terror in 1927, CPC members working at the Jinling Arsenal stayed committed to their missions and united the workers at the cost of their own lives. In 1947, the Party branch was reorganized to fight against the KMT reactionaries in the Chinese Civil War.
- On April 27, 1949, representatives of the People's Liberation Army freed the Jinling Arsenal from KMT control. After weathering a hundred years of hardship, it was finally returned to the people and began demonstrating robust manufacturing productivity. Changan Auto and Aerosun Corporation, born out of the Jinling Machinery Manufacturing Bureau, have become driving forces for New China’s technological innovation, and have defended peace and stability.
- Today, the 1865 Creative Industrial Park (renamed in 2007), the former Jinling Machinery Manufacturing Bureau, is a peaceful community with a strong cultural identity and a highly developed digital environment. Yet, it has never forgotten its role in the history of how China’s national industry strived to be strong and resisted against colonial plunder. It also carries the wisdom and hard work of Chinese pioneers, which is the common "industrial heritage" of the whole nation.
Over the past decade, the CPC Central Committee, taking Xi Jinping as its core, has been united, has seized the historic opportunities to move the nation forward, and has responsibly led the people. It has overcome many difficulties and risks, accomplished numerous significant tasks of long-term importance, and has written a compelling new chapter in the revolutionary struggles of the Chinese nation.
Full and strict governance of all party members: providing a fundamental political guarantee for achieving meaningful revolution
- The CPC’s leadership is the greatest advantage of socialism with Chinese characteristics.
- The CPC central committee is committed to raising the understanding of its leadership to a new theoretical level and disseminating it among the whole party.
- Leadership by the CPC is being implemented in all aspects through the institutionalization of norms of conduct.
- The Party is adhering to the dynamic standards of good cadres by eliminating the phenomenon of basing advancement on titles, educational background, published scientific papers, and awards.
- Both the chaos on the internet and the media in general, is being managed more resolutely.
- Corruption at all levels of the party has and will continue to be severely punished; the culture of not daring to corrupt, not being able to corrupt, and not wanting to corrupt will be continually promoted.
Leading high-quality economic development: providing a long-term and stable economic foundation to achieve a continually successful revolution
- Over the past decade, the contradictions that have accumulated during the long period of economic growth have come to the forefront, exerting increased downward pressure on the economy, and creating a series of new contradictions arising from changes in the domestic and international situation.
- China's economic development has shifted from high-speed growth to high-quality development by concentrating on supply-side structural reform, thus promoting a comprehensive green energy transformation, advanced production methods, and more satisfying lifestyles.
- China is implementing the new strategy of rural revitalization, improving the livelihood of the rural population, and resolutely winning the battle against poverty.
- To resolve the three main economic challenges – the decline in domestic demand in consumption and investment, the possible instability in and insecurity of industrial and supply chains, and the future uncertainty that affects people's economic expectations, in addition to the risk of economic and technology decoupling from the US – the CPC Central Committee has adopted the six stability measures. The goal of these measures is the stabilization of the following areas: employment, finance, foreign trade, foreign capital, domestic investment, and economic expectations. They have also adopted the six security measures, which ensure employment, a basic livelihood, economically viable businesses, food and energy security, industrial and supply chain stability, and the development of grassroots operations. Their purpose is to stabilize China’s economic fundamentals and deal with the decoupling actions of the US and other Western countries.
Continue the struggle for achieving revolutionary success: adhere to fundamental positions and resist external risks and challenges
- In the last 10 years, China has faced an extremely difficult and complicated external environment. The US and other Western countries have used various means such as infiltration, sanctions, supply disruption, decoupling, and false accusations to suppress China’s further growth. Additionally, through their control of social media platforms, they are waging an ideological war against China and challenging China's bottom line on issues related to Taiwan, Hong Kong, Xinjiang, Tibet, and the South China Sea.
- In the face of these challenges, the CPC Central Committee has led the nation in a tit-for-tat struggle to defend its national security.
- Through diplomatic, military, and economic means, China has effectively responded to the despicable acts of interference by the US and other Western countries to incite and support "Taiwan independence" activities on the island.
- Through legislation on safeguarding national security and improving the electoral system in Hong Kong, China has effectively broken the Western countries’ attempts to instigate a "color revolution" and has firmly maintained the stability of Hong Kong.
- Through the construction of islands and reefs in the South China Sea, the establishment of Sansha City, and regular military patrols and drills, China has effectively responded to the West’s challenges to its sovereignty in the South China Sea.
Subscribe to Chinese Voices. The digest is published every Sunday in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.Download the PDF of the complete articles (automatically translated) of this issue. The opinions of the articles are not necessarily shared by Dongsheng editorial collective.
Follow our social media channels:
- Twitter: @DongshengNews (English), @DongshengNewsES (Spanish), @DongshengNewsBR (Portuguese)
- Telegram: News on China, Noticias de China, Notícias da China
- Instagram: @DongshengNews
- YouTube: Dongsheng News